Jun 11, 2009

Kenosis

KENOSIS in Greek means "self-emptying" -said the pamphlet. Like "Art of Living", the title KENOSIS thus attracted me, when I came to know of a lecture by Acharya Brahamrishi Kirit Bhaiji ((I'm trying to figure out what his real -'first'- name is, among these 4 words) in Kobe, arranged by a group of Indians in Kobe. The Guru is widely known for his KENOSIS programs-aimed at "emptying the Mind"- which regularly come in Zee TV, as I was told.

When I arrived at the ISS hall at Kobe at 1:50 pm for the 2:00pm program, the hall was 'empty' (symbolically?) with just one Non-SouthIndian lady munching her lunch. In the small hall to accommodate 80-100 people, I saw mats laid on the floor, reminding me that there might be practical meditation sessions as well. The program started at 2:40 when one by one gradually assembled. I chose an aisle seat in the last row, to be able to whisk myself away in case the lecture is in Hindi (or any Indian language other than Tamil).

The guru spoke in excellent English (I learned later that he was a CA by profession, educated in UK). The first part of the program was a speech by him on the topic *Key to Success", which was interesting and appealing as he was emphasizing on -among others- 'burning desire' 'winning edge' and 'perseverence' etc. Sounded more like an inspiring Management Guru or an experienced & successful business personality. Finished his speech with a punch-line statement "Don't count the days, make your days count". I liked his speech, though at times I was worried if I will get my mind filled with more worries rather than getting it emptied. Part of the reason could be that other then being a sole non-Hindi speaking guy, I was also the sole non-Businessman, a salaried-man in the crowd !

The second part had meditation practices involving breathing techniques. With all my questions regarding the health benefits of breathing techniques remaining unanswered, I did follow what was said, and did meditate for more than an hour. At the end of the meditation session, many expressed 'feeling great' with one person saying that she could see blueish things when she was practising. The guru said it was just a beginning, that she was on the right track, and that she would see 'everything white' as she progresses. I didn't see or feel anything except that when I closed my eyes, I had a tough time trying to keep myself awake! I'm not sure if the health benefits of meditation have been verified and certified by authentic sources, though meditation might have a profound psychological impact (placebo effect?) on the individuals who religiously practice it.

[A little 'googling' tells me that Kenosis is a Greek term associated with theology, widely quoted in Christianity, and there is also an institute based at Arizona, USA focussing on meditation -I believe this Bhaiji has no links with any of them].

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

i totally agree with you. i also attended kenosis in manchester. i feel that he has no knoweledge of what he is trying to practise. i feel he should stick to what he knows.

Post a Comment